Luca Guadagnino Says His ‘Heart is Still There’ for ‘Call Me By Your Name’

Luca Guadagnino

Photo: EW

Call me by your name, but never describe it as a sequel. 

Luca Guadagnino, director of Call Me By Your Name (2017), who worked with Timothée Chalamet, would like to make a sequel to the Oscar-winning film, but wouldn’t call it a sequel.

“A sequel is an American concept,” the director said in an interview with IndieWire at the Telluride Film Festival. “It’s more like the chronicles of Elio, the chronicles of this young boy becoming a man. It is something I want to do.” 

The original film chronicled Elio (Chalamet), an 1980s Italian teenager who spends a summer of heady romance with his father’s research assistant Oliver (played by Armie Hammer whose career is in the verge of ruins after allegations of sexual assault).

The romantic drama received critical acclaim and won awards, including an Oscar for James Ivory’s adaptation. Moreover, it was nominated for three other Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Actor for Chalamet.

Guadagnino has since expressed interest in making another film based on Chalamet’s character, if all goes well.

“The truth of the matter is, my heart is still there, but I’m working on this movie [Bones and All] now, and I’m hopefully going to do Scarface soon, and I have many projects and so will focus on this side of the Atlantic and the movies I want to make,” the filmmaker said in an interview with Deadline last year. 

Read also: The Conners Exec Producer Reveals Plan on D.J. Write Off

Guadagnino Wants Another Team-Up with Chalamet

Before that, Guadagnino told an Italian publication called Gay. It! that he plans to collaborate with a writer he loves “very much” about making a sequel following Ivory’s statement that he won’t return. 

However, the pandemic happened, and like the rest of us, he could not travel. 

Luckily, Guadagnino and Chalamet reunited in Bones and All, a film about a budding cannibal romance recently launched at the Venice Film Festival in Italy, where it had been given a massive nod. 

Guadagnino revealed to IndieWire that he had always considered Chalamet for a future team-up. 

“It’s not as if I left Timothée at the height of his booming success, and then I found him four years later,” Guadagnino said. “We kept close. I knew that there was not much time to wait until we worked together, but only for the right project.” 

Bones and All premieres on November 23.

Read also: Michael Fishman Sees Exit from The Connors as a Door to Another Opportunity

Opinions expressed by Entertainment Post contributors are their own.

LATEST POSTS

More Stories
MozCon
MozCon Promises Not to be the Typical Marketing Conference